EMT Refresher / Transition Course
Emergency Training Academy, a leading EMS training center in in West Chester, PA, offers an EMT Refresher/Transition course approved by PA BEMS. This is an online course which can also be used as a 24 hour EMT refresher program, worth 24 hours of continuting education.
Course Description: This course was initially designed in 2012 to transition current EMT-Basics into the newly adopted EMS Education Standards for an Emergency Medical Technician by bridging the gap between the current EMT-Basic and
the recently adopted EMS Educational Standards level provider of EMT. This course was developed and is being taught by the President of ETA and
author of the EMT Transition Manual. In addition to being an author, Ms. Barwell is a prehospital RN and an
EMT-Instructor Trainer for the PA Department of Health, Bureau of EMS. She is also an instructional designer specializing in online and distance learning. Since most people have already been transitioned to the new EMS Education Standards for EMTs, this course has transitioned into a 24-hour refresher course, for students who failed the NREMT certification exam three times, or 24 hours of continuing education needed for recertification.
Course Format: This course is an online course. Once you enroll in the course, you will be provided an access code to the course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbook separately (a link will be provided). Students are required to complete a quiz for each section as well as a 50 question multiple choice final exam.
Course Cost: $300 (includes online access/materials only. You are responsible to purchase your own textbook.)
Certification: Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from
Emergency Training Academy stating successful completion of a 24 hour EMT Refresher Course.
This certificate is accepted by both the PA Bureau of EMS and NREMT, which can be used for recertification.
Course Content: This course will provide a basic
overview of the history of the EMS Agenda for the future and EMS Education Standards as well as the
new levels of EMS providers. The focus of the course is on the new patient assessment process, more
in-depth anatomy and physiology, and pathophysiology of various medical conditions of illness for
all body systems. Specifically, the EMT Transition Course will cover the following:
- New information relative to Well-Being of the EMT, Medical/Legal and Ethical considerations
- Life-Span Development
- Therapeutic Communication
- New information relative to Patient Assessment
- More in-depth information on Airway Management, Ventilation and Oxygenation
- Assessment and emergency care for specific Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Neurologic, Emergencies, Gastrointestinal, Genitourinary, Diabetic, Hematologic, Psychiatric, and Gynecologic Emergencies
- Special populations including geriatrics, neonates, pregnant women, and patients with special needs
- Information is also provided on toxicology, infectious diseases, multi-system trauma, medical terminology, weapons of mass destruction, and the various types and causes of shock
This is an open enrollment course. Enroll any time by clicking on the link below. You will be contacted with course access information within 24 hours of receiving your registration and payment.